Pages

Monday, August 12, 2013

I've Got Fish Problems In The Aquaponics System

What's Wrong With My Fish!

There are a lot of questions people in the ASC community ask about pH, ammonia, fish stress and feeding. Fish are not that hard to take care of when you know what to do.

Many of us once had goldfish or guppies in a tank as kids. Actually my son still has a guppy tank in his room and those little fish breed like rabbits. It doesn't take a lot of work for Ryan to take care of them and they seem very happy with their environment.

Guppies are not Tilapia and this is not the bedroom fish tank setting. Raising fish in aquaponics requires a little know how. After all, the fish will one day be a protein meal on your plate. Take of them now and they in turn will take care of you.

High or low pH and ammonia problems will definitely affect the fish. Stress is something a lot of people are not prepared for.  Reaching for the chemicals to lower or raise the pH is not always needed, because it can make the situation worse and can cause fish kills. A common sense approach can in many instances can resolve aquaponics fish issues. After all, I am presuming we all want happy and healthy fish?

When I wrote the "Essential Fish Care In Aquaponics"  it was for beginners in mind. As I became more involved in the book,  researching simple solutions for everyone became the driving force. The book became more of a guideline for people to follow and make their lives a whole lot easier with raising fish in aquaponics.

It just seemed better to have all the "what the heck is wrong with these fish" issues resolved quickly, than to have all the fingerlings die on you. That's heartbreaking to see floaters in the tank.

I like to write in a way that's easy to understand. I want people to have that light-bulb moment when they can say to themselves "Oh that's my problem!"


You can either click on the book to pick up a copy of the book or follow this link... 

What you will NOT see in the book...
I don't put big fancy statements or elaborate physics in front of you. I will not confuse you with the big wordy science related to things like oxygen, ammonia, nitrates or nitrogen. Easy, simple and a quick read approach is what you will get.

I don't want people to feel overwhelmed or scratching their heads trying to figure out what I wrote. I only say what needs to be said and I give the reader alternative solutions before reaching for the chemicals. I talk to people in the book as if they are face to face with me. What you see is what you get with me, I don't beat around the bush, however I will give people that they need to become better aquapons.

So if you think the book is something you might like to read then it will cost you $3.97 on Amazon Kindle. Pick up a copy and you might find a few pointers in there to help.  You could have a great system up and running quicker than you anticipated.

Aquaponics is not rocket science and I don't think it should be either. All of us should be able to figure out how to maintain sustainability and growing good food quickly. We shouldn't feel frustrated or use colorful sentence enhancers, when creating a system that can feed our families for many years to come. 

P.S For more tips and updates about aquaponics subscribe to our monthly magazine 

I wish you all the best with your aquaponics system.

Warm Regards

Victoria