Pages

Friday, August 16, 2013

Building Aquaponics Systems On The Cheap

DIY Project For Everyone

People in the community have asked me if I sell aquaponics systems. The answer is no. I suppose if I wanted to I could. I figure there is already so much information on the internet and everyone selling systems that I really don't need to. I am more about bringing information and educational things to people like the ASC Magazine.

I am a DIY girl and I love scrounging. Where we live, is a fairly a small community surrounded by mountains so it has been a challenge finding what I need to build and put things together. I have a small aquaponics system in my greenhouse and like everyone else, I had to figure out where the leak was coming from and what the heck is wrong with the bell siphon. But I did it!



No hair pulling, I just had a few light-bulb moments, then tried again.  When all else failed I went and got my husband (ha ha ha). A cute smile always works when you've had enough. The most important thing I can say to people is to just do it! It doesn't matter if you have never owned a power tool before in your life. The fact that you are trying to figure out how to set up an aquaponics system, is a huge step. GOOD FOR YOU!

Putting a DIY system together doesn't have to cost you a lot of money either. The blue or white barrels can be found fairly cheaply.  IBC containers shouldn't have to cost an arm or leg either. 

Here are a couple for suggestions for finding usable ones. Remember you are always looking for FOOD GRADE SAFE CONTAINERS. You cannot use anything that contained contaminates, grease and oil, round-up or any other type of chemicals that will kill your fish. 

So what does food grade safe mean? It means anything that had juice, milk, water, cooking oil and things that we would normally consume. I am sure you get the picture. If you wouldn't put it into your own body, then maybe your fish won't like it either.

Where you can pick up barrels and IBC containers up from:
  • Craiglist
  • Pennysavers and dime newspapers
  • E-Bay
  • Local distributors of food ( back of warehouses)
  • Small companies who recycle, clean them out and resell
  • You might be able to find one from a larger restaurant
So how do you clean the containers out? 
I would only use a couple of different methods. Remember that fish are sensitive to chemicals and certain cleaners can leave a residue and kill your fish. My suggestion for cleaning is (and we did this with our IBC containers), a good power wash with water, let them sit for a day or two in the sun and then wipe them out with a little ammonia. Make up a water and ammonia solution. (I mean a little bit of ammonia. I am big on WHOA on the chemicals.)

Fish excrete ammonia from their gills and poop. You will need some ammonia for cycling your system when starting up, so it just made sense to me to use ammonia to finish the cleaning process.  I actually tell people what is the best ammonia to use in their aquaponics system in my book.

Even if the barrels are food grade safe you are just making extra sure the tanks and beds will be clean for the fish. You can also use a little white vinegar as an alternative to wash out the tanks.

I personally wouldn't use dish-washing soap as I have heard from so many others that have cleaned their tanks out. Here is a clue about anything you are not sure about in the way of chemicals DON'T USE IT. That is my best recommendation.

Use your own best judgement in the case of chemicals. These are your fish and it's your system. Common sense says you should  listen to that little voice inside and pay attention.

I wrote about chemicals in my book "Essential Fish Care In Aquaponics." Our fish rely on us to be smart enough to make good decisions on their behalf. They live their lives in our tanks, the least we can do is make sure they are happy and healthy. Seriously though folks, don't we already have enough questionable chemicals on the market now? Can't we try more moderate and safer solutions?

You can purchase a copy of the book off Amazon Kindle and you do not need a Kindle to read the book. There is a lot of good info and tips to help people. Download the best application for your device here to read Kindle books. 


If you would like to subscribe to our magazine and learn more tips from other writers and contributors, you can click on this link. We have both professionals, business owners and backyard aquapons writing for us. Everyone gets involved! That's the way we are supposed to do it.

Happy growing!

Cheers

Victoria